Florida Mesothelioma Statistics
If you live in Florida and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you are not alone. In fact, Florida only trails one state, California, in the number of residents who have lost their lives to asbestos-related diseases like mesothelioma and asbestosis. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer which is 100% preventable, as the only cause of mesothelioma is exposure to asbestos. Here are some statistics relating to mesothelioma in Florida and in the United States.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, our Florida mesothelioma lawyers may be able to help you and your family pursue compensation. For a free asbestos mesothelioma claim evaluation, contact our Florida mesothelioma law firm. We offer:
- Free consultation with an experienced Florida mesothelioma lawyer
- No attorney fees unless you recover money
- Hospital and home visits with an attorney anywhere in Florida
- Convenient office locations throughout Florida
- A long-standing record of favorable verdicts and settlements in Florida
- Records state that at least 109,949 tons of asbestos were shipped from Libby, Montana to locations in Florida. The five destinations for these shipments were Tampa, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville, Pompano Beach, and Boca Raton.
- Up to 3,432 residents of Florida died from mesothelioma between 1979 and 2000.
- 1,095 residents of Florida died from asbestosis between 1979 and 2000.
- Mesothelioma death statistics more than doubled in 1999, when the United States government officially began tracking mesothelioma as a cause of death.
- From 1999 to 2004, there were 1,095 mesothelioma deaths in Florida.
- Roughly 3,000 new cases of mesothelioma are documented in the United States each year.
- Some of the highest plaintiff awards in the United States for asbestos exposure leading to mesothelioma have been in Florida. In 1997, Deward Ballard was awarded $31 million in his case against Owens-Cornings Fiberglass Co.
- In Florida, companies must pay on asbestos-related claims even if they have filed for bankruptcy. In most states, all claims against a company are halted when bankruptcy is declared.
- Men are 5 times more likely to develop mesothelioma than women are. This is in part due to the occupations in which asbestos exposure is prevalent.
- The statute of limitations for filing an asbestos or mesothelioma lawsuit in Florida is 4 years after the date of diagnosis.
Contact a Florida Mesothelioma Attorney
Residents of Florida with mesothelioma or asbestosis as a result of occupational asbestos exposure are eligible to bring suit against the parties responsible for their exposure. If you were diagnosed with mesothelioma in Florida, or if you have lost a loved one to mesothelioma, you may be entitled to compensation to help with medical bills, burial costs, and other expenses.
We know that no amount of money can make up for the loss of your health or the tragic death of a loved one. However, we also know that the cost of care and treatment for mesothelioma is a tremendous financial burden that victims and their families deserve to be compensated for. If you are a resident of Florida who has been affected by mesothelioma or asbestos exposure, we invite you to contact us today. Our Florida asbestos attorneys have dedicated decades to defending the rights of mesothelioma victims, and we will do the same for you.